Revolutionary Charleston 250 is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to showcasing Charleston’s leadership role in the War for American Independence - from "First Protest to Final Victory". We are the City of Charleston-based, non- governmental umbrella organization for all things Revolutionary.
Alternately referred to as "Charleston 250", we are honored to be the ambassador entity for all things Revolutionary in the City of Charleston with other America 250 cities as well as the coordinating entity for commemorating America's 250th Anniversary events that happened here. Founded in 2018 by legacy historical organizations and scholars in this former state-capital city, Revolutionary Charleston seeks to build Charleston's Revolutionary heritage tourism by:
* facilitating public and institutional Revolutionary history awareness;
* collaboratively building and showcasing road-to-independence infrastructure that lifts all boats;
* promoting, coordinating, supporting, and advising commemorative events and programs that engage all;
* fostering Revolutionary events that coincide with the 250th year of their occurrence (like the upcoming Charleston Tea Party anniversary this December 2nd at The Exchange);
* bringing together historical and arts organizations, scholars, and local entities to show and tell and weave together Charleston's great revolutionary stories using the latest technologies that engage all ages;
* cooperatively building road-to-independence knowledge, programs, and infrastructure that lasts beyond America's 250th Anniversary.
Our signature, nationally recognized event is our annual Revolutionary War Victory Day reenactment and commemoration at (Francis) Marion Square - the forced evacuation of the British Army from their Southern Headquarters that ended the war.
Additional projects currently underway or being pursued include an annual British capture of Charlestown remembrance, an annual Revolutionary Charleston Symposium, Revolutionary War History College Degree Programs, accredited school programs, increasing local reenactment groups, developing a Liberty Square Patriots Memorial Wall (to honor our fallen heroes and prison ship martyrs), developing a Charleston American Independence Trail, replanting The Charleston Live Oak Liberty Tree, refurbishing and relocating South Carolina's Liberty Bell to Charleston's Exchange Building, and creating a world-class Revolutionary War Victory Museum.
These ideas are the result of the Revolutionary Charleston Forum attended by the city's legacy historical organizations at The Exchange Building prior to Covid. To bring these city-generated ideas into fruition, we have requested 14 million dollars from the state to fund some of these projects, and are working with numerous public and private entities to sponsor others. Our mission is to bring Charleston's real American Revolution history, "From First Protest to Final Victory" out of the shadows for all to experience.
The US Congress has designated Charleston as one of the four America 250th Anniversary (AM250) showcase cities during the commemorative period commencing in 2025 and continuing through 2033. The Daughters of the American Revolution have recognized us with the prestigious America 250 Commendation Award for our early work. As our esteemed Governor Henry McMaster wrote us: "Charleston has the distinction of being one of the four cities to lead the campaign of America250".
Revolutionary Charleston leads this city-wide America 250 campaign by involving all in sharing Charleston's central role in achieving united independence from Britain. We also recommend and endorse commemorative event applications to the state's SC 250 grant program. We help launch county-based, state 250 programs focused on the Revolutionary War and refer scholarly keynote speakers - most recently with the successful launch of Berkeley County 250. We support the SC250 statutory mission to "identify projects and then apply for grants..." and work directly with city, state, county and national leaders.
In a nutshell, Revolutionary Charleston 250 seeks to participatively educate and inspire all about Charleston's leading role in our fledgling nation's long struggle to achieve independence from Britain by building and showcasing lasting, tourism-friendly, Revolutionary infrastructure and commemorative events through cooperative partnerships. We recognize and honor the Patriots, places, and happenings that contributed to or played a part in achieving American Independence from 1775 -1783 in Charleston. We help excavate and share their long-lost stories.
"Don't throw away your shot." Become part of this historical city-focused AM250 mission now. There are numerous ways you or your organization can become part of this legacy movement:
* Become a project partner, sponsor, or champion.
* Pick up an official Revolutionary Charleston 250 cap, shirt, and commemorative pin at The Exchange.
* Wear a tri-corn hat on Victory Day.
* Order a Revolutionary Charleston 250 "First Protest to Final Victory" flag to display outside your business.
* Be a website or event sponsor.
* Volunteer to lead, begin, host, enlarge or work a commemorative event.
* Volunteer to be on our advisory Board, Projects Task Force, Ambassador-certification faculty, or Revolutionary Society newsletter team.
* Become a certified Charleston 250 Ambassador.
* Showcase your Revolutionary story, building, research, ancestry, or artifacts to list on Charleston's American Independence Trail.
* Apply for a state 250 research or event grant.
* Submit an article or research paper to post on our website.
* Sponsor a school writing contest about Charleston's forgotten heroes.
* Lead or help develop an accredited Revolutionary Charleston curriculum and program for schools.
* Partner with us on publishing an official Revolutionary Charleston America 250th Anniversary Commemorative Guidebook.
* If you are a historical organization board member or donor, request that your leadership plan now to put on a series of collaborative 250th Anniversary-honoring events.
* Initiate, collaborate, participate.
Partnerships, Revolutionary Charleston Champions, and volunteers are the backbone of bringing Revolutionary Charleston to life!
Rise up and join Revolutionary Charleston's All-America City in showcasing its outstanding leadership in America's quest for independence: "From First Protest to Final Victory". History has its eyes on you.
Subscribe and keep up to date with our upcoming events and historical spotlights.